In my quest to find the best facial in Singapore I visited Beyond Beauty last week at Orchard Central.
The facial that I got was called the Radio Frequency Face Lifter. It promises to:
- Lift the skin and make it firmer
- Improve wrinkles
- Improve circulation
- Tighten saggy cheeks.
That all sounds great, so I was keen to give it a try.
How does radio frequency work?
Radio frequency heats up the subcutaneous fat beneath the face skin so that it rises up to the skin surface. The heat generated in the subcutaneous fat is transferred back to the surface collagen layer in the skin, which then immediately contracts for an immediate facial skin lift.
After cleansing the face a gel is massaged into the face, after which treatment with the radio frequency machine begins. A warm pad is used to massage the face and provide it with the benefits of the radio frequency. I really liked this part of the treatment. The pad feels warm on your face and it’s completely painless.
This radio frequency treatment lasted about 20 minutes after which I was provided with a collagen mask. A tissue was laid on top of my face after which the mask was applied. This mask has a strange texture (which is probably why it is not put directly on the face) and feels very cold. It was left on for at least 20 minutes.
What was the facial like
I’ve heard quite a few good reports about radio frequency treatment to tighten the skin but one section of 20 min certainly will not do it. I’m not sure how many sessions you will need to see results. The treatment itself is pleasant and uncomplicated.
As you may know I’m never a big fan of masks. This one was extremely cold which wouldn’t be so bad if at least the room was warm. I thought this mask was interesting though, as it felt like something I had not experienced before.
My main complaint with this particular facial was the lack of attention to detail. Part of the appeal of a facial is that it is relaxing. So in my opinion any beauty salon should do its utmost to make a facial a relaxing and pleasant experience. At Beyond Beauty they did not succeed in doing that with me for the following reasons.
- Not enough attention was paid to making the treatment room look nice. This is one thing I don’t understand. Why make a beautiful looking front facade and neglect the treatment rooms?
- The room was too cold and although (extra) towels were provided they still did not keep me warm.
- The bright light was left on unnecessarily at times.
- For the first part of the treatment there was no music so I had to listen to chatter from the hallway. When I received the mask and the therapist left the room I finally heard some music. Great, I thought. However, it turned out to be christmas music sung by a childrens choir! Are you kidding me? It’s bad enough that I’m submitted to constant christmas music in the malls, but I really don’t want to hear it when I’m trying to relax while having a facial.
I think this could be a good facial if more attention was paid to the overall facial ambiance. The therapist was professional and the products used seemed good. Too bad about the music though….
181 Orchard Road #04-14
Phone: 6332 8333